Foods That Are Dangerous To Your Pets

Some foods deemed healthy for humans might be quite harmful to pets. This list includes apple seeds, avocados, grapes, coffee, candy, etc. Consumption of alcoholic beverages and food products containing alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, poor coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulties breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma, and even death. Therefore, do not offer alcohol to your pet under any circumstances. If you do, please get in touch with a veterinarian as soon as possible.

Chocolate, coffee, and caffeine contain methylxanthines found in cacao seeds, the fruit of the coffee plant, and the nuts of an extract used in some sodas. Methylxanthines can induce vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, and urine in pets. It can also cause hyperactivity, irregular heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and even death in extreme cases. It’s worth noting that darker chocolate is riskier than milk chocolate. The lowest concentration of methylxanthines is found in white chocolate, while the highest concentration is found in baking chocolate.

dog stealing pastry from dinner table in kitchen

Getty Images / DigitalVision / Klaus Vedfelt

 

Although the toxic element in grapes and raisins is unknown, these fruits can induce kidney failure. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid feeding grapes and raisins to dogs until further information about the harmful ingredient becomes available. Many sweet products like gum, candy, baked goods, and toothpaste use xylitol as a sweetener. This compound can trigger insulin release in most species, leading to liver failure. This increased insulin release can lead to hypoglycemia. The animal affected displays vomiting, tiredness, and a loss of coordination as the first indicators of toxicosis. These symptoms can then progress to seizures. Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be detected within a few days.

Yeast bread can rise in your pet’s digestive system, causing gas to build up. This can be uncomfortable and cause the stomach to swell and twist, potentially resulting in a life-threatening emergency. In addition, ethanol (alcohol) is also a yeast by-product, and a dog swallowing uncooked bread dough can become drunk.